- 1 European seedless cucumber, peeled
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants, plumped in cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white part only
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp dill fronds, minced
- 1/4 cup unsalted pistachios or walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and smashed
- 1 cup Vermont Quark
- Halve the cucumber lengthwise and remove any seeds. Blot dry with paper towels. Either grate the cucumber or cut into small cubes.
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in enough ice water to reach a smooth soupy consistency. Alternately, allow a cup or two of ice cubes to melt in themixture, stirring well to incorporate. In either case, refrigerate the soup for an hour or more before serving.
- To serve this as a salad or side dish, skip the dilution of water or ice.
Mast-va-Khiar, the chilled Iranian
mid-summer soup, purported by those both susceptible and superstitious
to prevent heat stroke, is a refreshing start to a patio supper from the
grill. But, it has another equally delightful life as a salad, side
dish or condiment, however and whenever you choose to serve it.
Replacing the traditional yogurt with Quark refines the tang and smooths