something wrinkled this way comes…
October 15, 2015 // by Allison Hooper
Wrinkled, moldy and dusted with ash, our geotricum-rinded cheeses have been called ghostly little cheeses, franken-rinds, and beautifully brainy — the highest of compliments on All Hallows’ Eve! These haunting pictures come from Creamery friend, Carey Nershi of Reclaiming Provincial. Check more of Carey's gorgeous photography and delicious recipes in our recipe collection.
Whether you’re hosting a spook-tacular Halloween bash or looking for a haunting hostess gift, here are five tips for creating the perfect Halloween Cheese Board:
1. Start with a selection of frightful cheeses. Our aged goat cheeses — Bonne Bouche, Coupole, Cremont, and Bijou — lend a wrinkled, brain-like look. Our friend Tenaya Darlington of Madame Fromage also suggests a stinky, washed rind, such as Epoisses, which has a bright orange exterior, and a leaf-wrapped cheese such as Valdeon blue cheese.
2. Set the tone with a dark cheeseboard… we love the gravestone look of a nice gray slate.
3. Add pairings such as dark olives, roasted pumpkin seeds and dehydrated orange slices. Slices of dark rye bread and crackers studded with dried fruit and seeds suit the scary season.
4. Decorate with dried moss and these simple DIY ghost leaves from the wonderfully creative folks at Sweet Paul.
5. Serve with a Dark and Stormy Death Punch, Blood Peach Bellini, or another one of these Halloween cocktails from Food & Wine.