Carrot Ginger Soup
FOR THE CARROTS
1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled or scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, only to be used for the roasted version of this soup
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, only to be used for the roasted version of this soup
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, only to be used for the roasted version of this soup
FOR THE SOUP
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, grated
2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ROASTED CARROT VERSION
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place carrots on parchment-lined sheet pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat. Roast 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5-6 minutes or until translucent. Stir in garlic and ginger; sauté 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add broth, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir; cover. Bring to a boil; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add cooled roasted carrots to saucepan; stir. Simmer 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; puree vegetables using immersion blender until smooth. Return to heat. Stir in vinegar; bring to a boil to heat through prior to serving.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE STOVE TOP VERSION
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, sauté for about 5-6 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir, put the lid on, let it cook keeping a close eye on it for about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into one of the carrots comes in and out easily.
- Puree using an immersion blender. Give it a taste and season as necessary. Finish it off with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to brighten the flavors.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of crème fraîche and chives.