Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
(170g) Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter, browned
1 ½ cups (325g)packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons (25g) organic cane sugar
2 ¼ cups (270g) all-purpose flour
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
(17g) Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
1 teaspoon baking soda
heavy pinch of sea salt
8 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate + extra chunks for mid-bake topping + extra fine shavings for post bake topping
Flaked salt for topping
- Brown your butter and set aside, allowing to come to room temp.
- Add your sugars to the butter and mix until combined - about 30 seconds.
- Add the egg and mix to combine. Then add the egg yolk and the vanilla bean paste. Mix to combine.
- Add the crème fraîche and mix to combine
- Sift your flour and baking soda together and add to the mixture. Add your sea salt as well.
- Mix only until dough just comes together. Over-mixed dough will result in a dryer, tougher cookie
- Add your chocolate and mix to combine.
- Using your scale, measure 2.8-3oz balls of dough, trying to include an even amount of chocolate in each. Shape into balls and put in a sealable container or bag
- Store sealed dough balls in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line baking sheet with parchment.
- Place 4-6 balls of dough on the cookie sheet, depending on size.
- Bake 9 minutes and remove from oven. Top each cookie with extra chunks of chocolate. Turn cookie sheet 180° before adding back to oven. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until tops become only slightly brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and top with finer chocolate shavings and flaked salt. Heavier on the salt the better.
- Allow to cool (or not) and enjoy!