Celery Root & Apple Gratin
6 to 8
1 hour 15 mins
1 hour 40 mins
2 large (approx. 1-1.5 pounds each) celery roots, peeled
2 Granny Smith (or other tart) apples, peeled
8 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
1 heaping tablespoon whole grain or Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon everything bagel topping, optional
salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 13x9-inch (or equivalent sized) casserole dish.
- Using mandoline or sharp knife, cut celery root and apples into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Stir together crème fraîche, mustard, and 4 teaspoons chives in bowl.
- Layer one-third of celery root and apple slices in bottom of prepared casserole, reserving best looking slices for top. Season generously with salt and pepper. Spread one-third of crème fraȋche mixture on top; sprinkle with one-third of cheese. Repeat twice more; top with remaining chives and bagel seasoning, if using.
- Cover casserole tightly with foil. Bake 50-60 minutes or until sauce starts to bubble around edges. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes or until top is golden brown and celery root is tender when pierced. Let cool 20 minutes before serving.