Apple Pecan Cake
1 hour 0 mins
1 hour 30 mins
Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup pecans, chopped
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche
2 cups chopped apples
Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche, optional for serving
- Heat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 9-inch round cake pan by brushing with a bit of butter or oil spray. We like to include a layer of parchment on the bottom of the pan for an extra easy cake release.
- In a small saucepan, combine the 1/4 cup butter and the brown sugar over medium heat. Stir to combine until the melted butter and brown sugar have incorporated fully together, but don't let it come to a boil. Once the two ingredients are incorporated, pour the mixture into the bottom of the buttered/prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the chopped pecans evenly over the top and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the sugar and room temperature butter and mix together on medium speed until the two become fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Use a spatula to push down the butter and sugar mixture periodically to ensure they're incorporating fully.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Make sure to fully incorporate the first egg before adding the second egg and the vanilla extract.
- Add the buttermilk and the flour mixture in half portions, alternating between the buttermilk and flour. Gently fold the crème fraîche and chopped apples into the cake batter and then spoon it into the prepared pan, spreading it gently to create an even layer of cake batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean from the center of the cake. Let stand for 8-10 minutes then invert the warm cake onto a cake plate. If the cake cools a little too much and it's sticking to the pan, warm it in the oven for a few min and then invert onto your cake plate. Serve with a dollop of lightly sweetened crème fraîche.