Baked St. Albans with Pumpkin & Pear Butter
2 hours 30 mins
3 hours 0 mins
Pumpkin Pear Butter
2 sugar pumpkins
3 lbs pears, peeled and cored, quartered
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp five-spice powder
1 tsp lemon juice
pinch sea salt
¼ cup pear cider, pear juice or apple cider
5-spice maple roasted pumpkin seeds
2 cups pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried completely
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp five-spice powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice pumpkins in half (we slice the cap of the pumpkin off for ease of handling). Scoop out seeds and fibrous guts (but save). Brush with oil, and place face down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast for 45-50 minutes, until fork tender. Let pumpkins cool for 10 minutes. Remove flesh from skin.
- Meanwhile, peel, core pears and quarter. Place in a heavy-bottomed pot with ½ cup water. Cook over medium-low heat, until pears are tender and easily mashable, around 15-20 minutes.
- Place roasted pumpkin flesh, tender pears and its juices, and pear cider in the blender and blend until smooth. Put back into pan, along with sugar, maple syrup, and spices. Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes, using a splash shield to prevent splatters (we put a lid on propped open with a wooden spoon), stirring every 10 minutes to prevent any sticking. Reduce to the thickness you prefer, then stir in lemon juice.
- Heat oven to 375F. Combine cleaned pumpkin seeds, olive oil, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, sea salt and 5-spice powder in bowl. Spread out onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast seeds for 20 minutes, stirring and flipping half way through. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn. Turn off oven, and let seeds sit in oven as it cools.
- Heat oven to 400F. Spoon generous amounts of pumpkin/pear butter on top of St Albans cheese in its crock. Place crock on a baking tray and place in the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until silky soft and melted. Serve with bread, crackers, and fruit.