Brown Butter Pecan Pie Brownies
1 hours 5 mins
FOR THE BROWN BUTTER BROWNIES
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour
⅔ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted if necessary
½ cup confectioners' sugar, sifted if necessary
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons water
FOR THE PECAN TOPPING
½ cup light corn syrup
½ cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ cups pecan halves
- First make the brownies. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Generously spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides of the pan. Spray the parchment too.
- Brown the butter. In a light-colored saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until it starts to foam. Use a heatproof rubber spatula to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan occasionally to prevent the milk solids in the butter from burning. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the butter smells nutty and is amber with dark flecks at the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and immediately pour into a liquid measuring cup. Set it on a wire rack to cool while you prep the other ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, flour, cocoa powder, confectioners' sugar, and salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and water. Slowly pour in the brown butter, whisking the mixture continuously as you do.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and use a rubber spatula to stir until just combined.
- Assemble the brownie base. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and use an offset spatula to spread it evenly across the pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the edges and center of the brownies are set but not fully baked.
- Meanwhile, make the pecan pie topping. In a medium bowl, whisk together the corn syrup, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and salt.
- Assemble the pecan pie brownies. After 30 minutes, place the brownie base on a wire rack-leave the oven on! Spoon the pecan pie topping on top of the brownies to cover it completely. Scatter the pecan halves on top.
- Finish baking the pecan pie brownies. Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the edges of the brownies are completely set but its center still wobbles slightly. Immediately run a butter knife or offset spatula along the edges of the pan to unstick the brownies. Cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then use the overhang parchment as handles to lift the brownies out of the pan and onto the rack. Cool completely.
- Serve and store. Slice into 2-inch squares and serve. The brownies can be stored in an airtight container or zip-top bag at room temperature for up to 3 days.