Cranberry Upside Down Cake
1 hour 35 mins
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter - 82% Butterfat, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vermont Creamery Mascarpone
BROWN SUGAR AND CRANBERRY TOPPING
Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter - 82% Butterfat
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 ½ cups cranberries
SPIKEd CRèME FRAîCHE
Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoons aged whiskey
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Generously butter 8- to 9-inch round cake pan; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in milk, orange zest and vanilla until well mixed. Add flour mixture; stir until just combined. Gently whisk in mascarpone. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup butter and brown sugar in small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until butter has melted and incorporated with sugar. Pour into bottom of prepared cake pan; use spoon to spread evenly onto bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle cranberries in an even layer over the brown sugar sauce.
- Pour cake batter over cranberries; gently smooth batter into an even layer. Bake 40-45 minutes or until cake is set, lightly browned and slightly pulling away from edge of pan.
- Cool cake in pan 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Combine crème fraîche, powdered sugar and whiskey in small bowl. Gently stir until smooth.
- Serve thick wedges of cake topped with generous dollop of spiked crème fraîche.