Herb and Parmesan Cheese Sticks
16 -32 sticks
quick Puff Pastry
1 ½ heaping cup shredded parmesan cheese
3 ½ tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
2 ½ tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
½ za'atar spice or any spice blend that feels good to you
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Lightly sprinkle a clean counter with about a quarter of the shredded cheese. Place the chilled puff pastry atop the cheese and sprinkle the top with another quarter of cheese. Roll the dough into a roughly 8x12-inch rectangle, pressing the cheese into the puff pastry top, and bottom as you roll.
- Sprinkle half of the rectangle with a quarter of cheese and sprinkle with oregano, thyme leaves, and a few good sprinkles of za'atar. Fold the puff pastry in half to encase the herbs and cheese.
- Sprinkle the remaining quarter of cheese across the counter and on top of the pastry and roll into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Slice the puff pastry into 3/4-inch strips. Cut those strips in half if you'd like shorter cheese straws.
- Lift one strip from the counter and twist with both hands. Place the twisted pastry on the prepare baking sheet and press gently to hold the twist.
- Repeat this twisting step with each strip of pastry.
- Refrigerate straws for 15 minutes while the oven preheats. Place a rack in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375º F.
- Bake for 15 to 22 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking to help all the straws brown evenly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to set before serving. Serve with mustard and olives.