Pull-Apart Garlic Butter Bread Wreath
2 hours 10 mins
4 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
2 packets instant yeast
1 teasoon kosher salt
1 cup warm whole milk
⅔ cup warm heavy cream
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons at room temperature
1 large egg, at room temperature
8 tablespoons at room temperature
2 cloves garlic, grated, use to your taste
⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon fresh sage or oregano, chopped
flaky sea salt, and fresh thyme, for topping
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the warm milk, warm heavy cream, honey, the egg, and 2 tablespoons butter. Using the dough hook, mix until the flour is completely incorporated, about 4-5 minutes. If the dough seems sticky, add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To make the garlic butter: Combine the butter, garlic, parmesan, parsley, sage, and a pinch of salt together in a small bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and cut into 4 equal pieces. Working with 1 dough piece at a time, roll into a large rectangle (roughly 14x10 inches) on a lightly floured surface. Spread 1/4th of the garlic butter over the dough, then cut lengthwise into 3 strips. Cut the strips crosswise into 4 strips each, making 12 squares. Stack all 12 dough squares, 1 on top of the other. Repeat with remaining 3 dough pieces and remaining garlic butter. Arrange stacks in a lightly buttered tube pan, standing up like little books, allowing gaps between dough pieces.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until the dough almost reaches the top, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until the bread is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand in the pan 5 minutes, then carefully remove. Brush with additional melted butter, if desired, and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
Alternate Baking Pan: you can divide the dough between 2 regular size bread pans and bake 25-30 minutes.
To Make Ahead: prepare the rolls through step 4. Do not let the bread rise at room temp. Cover the bread and place in the fridge (up to overnight). When ready to bake, remove the bread form the fridge 30 minutes prior to baking, then bake as directed.
To Prepare and Freeze: assemble the bread through step 4, then cover the pan an dfreeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the bread overnight in the fridge or on the counter for a few hours. Once thawed, bake as directed.&
To Bake and Freeze: bake the bread as directed and let cool completely. Cover well and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and warm before serving.