Salted Shortbread Cookies With Pomegranate Glaze
1 hour 15 mins
1 hour 45 mins
for the shortbread
14 tablespoons Vermont Creamery Sea Salt Cultured Butter
¾ cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
for the glaze
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons 100% pomegranate juice
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of kosher salt
sanding sugar, optional
to make the shortbread:
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and confectioners’ sugar. Mix on medium speed until well-combined and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and almond extracts and mix on low until combined. Add flour all at once and mix on low until well combined. Use rubber spatula to scrape down sides and bottom of bowl to ensure there are no buttery pockets.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and pat to a 1-inch thick disk. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While dough chills, heat oven to 300ºF and line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove chilled dough from the fridge and divide in half. Working with half of the dough at a time, use rolling pin to roll it ¼-inch-thick between two pieces of parchment paper. Use 2-inch cookie cutter to cut dough into rounds and place them 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. (Don’t worry, they won’t spread when they bake.) Gather scraps, re-roll them, then cut more cookies. You should have about 30 total.
- Bake cookies, rotating pans halfway through, for 22 to 27 minutes, until cookies are just barely golden on the edges. Let cookies cool completely on baking sheets.
to make the glaze:
- While cookies are cooling, combine confectioners’ sugar, 3 teaspoons pomegranate juice, lemon juice, and pinch of salt. Whisk until smooth, adding more pomegranate juice if necessary, ½ teaspoon at a time, until glaze is the texture of white glue.
- Dip each cooled cookie in the glaze and top with sanding sugar, if desired. Let the glaze set until dry before storing in an air-tight container, about 30 minutes.