Sunshine Citrus Solstice Cake
1 hour 0 mins
1 hour 0 mins
2 hours 0 mins
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ cup almond flour
ALKAME CO Sunshine Golden Milk
2 ¼ tablespoons
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup honey
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter, melted
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 large eggs
Vermont Creamery Mascarpone
½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease an 8” x 4” loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix the honey and citrus zest and let sit. If honey is crystalized, first liquify it using your preferred method.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat just before all the butter has melted.
- Add the melted butter, citrus juice and vanilla to the honey mixture and whisk until homogenized. Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, gently mixing with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine all icing ingredients except the mascarpone in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced by about ⅔. Watch carefully to prevent over cooking in this step. You want the reduction to begin thickening, but not become sticky and caramelized.
- Once properly reduced, remove from heat and pour into a small bowl then place in fridge to cool completely.
- Add the mascarpone to the cooled honey citrus reduction and mix well.
- Once cake is completely cooled, spread icing over the top using the back of a spoon or rubber spatula. Serve as is or top with a sprig of rosemary, thinly sliced orange wedges (as pictured) and/or celebration candles.
Oranges and lemons are called for in both the cake and icing. You will need a total of 5-6 oranges and 1-2 lemons for the whole thing. It will be easiest to do all of your juicing and zesting together at the start of the recipe.
You may partially or fully sub mandarins or tangerines for oranges.