Wild Berry Slab Pie with Crème Fraîche
1 hour 45 mins
2 hours 30 mins
5 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Vermont Creamery Sea Salt Cultured Butter - 82% Butterfat, cut into chunks
¾ cup plus 6-8 tablespoons cold water
1 quart strawberries, hulled, sliced
12 ounces blackberries
1 pint blueberries
6 ounces raspberries
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 cup sugar
½ cup cornstarch
1 large egg, beaten
Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche, as desired
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar and salt in bowl of large food processor. Pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until butter is pea-sized. Add 3/4 cup cold water; pulse until incorporated. Continue adding cold water 1 tablespoon at a time, just until flour is moistened and holds together when squeezed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into ball; flatten slightly. Wrap one ball in plastic food wrap; refrigerate.
- Roll out remaining dough ball on lightly floured surface into 19x14-inch rectangle. Place onto bottom of ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Refrigerate.
- Place berries and orange zest in large bowl. Stir together 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. Add sugar mixture to berries; toss to coat. Set aside.
- Roll refrigerated dough ball into 17x12-inch rectangle. Cut rectangle into 12 (1 1/2-inch-thick) diagonal strips with pastry wheel or sharp knife.
- Pour filling into refrigerated crust.
- Place 6 strips diagonally across filling in pie pan, 1 inch apart (use every other strip for the right length). Place remaining 6 strips at right angles, 1 inch apart, to the strips already in place to create lattice. Trim strips.
- Fold trimmed edge of bottom crust over strips, building up an edge. Seal, crimp or flute edge. Brush strips with beaten egg; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake 38-42 minutes or until crust is browned and filling is bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with dollops of crème fraîche.