Bacon and Pepper Goat Cheese Tart
1 ⅓ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter, cold, cut into chunks
1 large egg yolk
1 ½ tabelspoons ice water
5 ½ oz whole milk
3 large eggs
Vermont Creamery fresh goat cheese, divided
1 cup chopped sweet peppers
½ teaspoon fresh thyme
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4-5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Start the tart shell by adding flour, salt and butter in a medium bowl and mix with a fork or pastry cutter till butter is in small, pea-sized lumps. To this, add the egg yolk and ice water, stirring to combine.
- Gently knead until the dough comes together in a ball. If the dough feels too dry, add in additional water one tablespoon at a time.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface until the dough is slightly larger than the shape of your tart pan. Gently move dough onto tart pan and gently press dough to fit the shape of the pan, trimming excess dough to make the edges of dough flush with the rim.
- Lightly prick the shell in several places with a fork, then line the shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil and pie weights, then bake shell until golden, about 5 minutes more.
- While the tart shell is baking, prepare the filling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, 3 eggs, 2 oz of the fresh goat cheese, thyme, salt and pepper till smooth. Stir in peppers and bacon.
- Pour the filling into the prepared tart shell and bake for 30 minutes or until egg is set and tart shell edges are light brown.
- To serve, crumble the remaining 2oz of fresh goat cheese on top of the tart.