2 large eggs, separated
½ cup sugar
Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter, melted
1 ¾ cups milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
maple syrup, optional for topping
Vermont Creamery Sea Salt Cultured Butter, optional for topping
- Plug in your waffle iron to preheat according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Separate your eggs, being careful not to get any yolks into the egg whites. Place the egg yolks in a large bowl and set aside. Place the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and beat on high until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, sugar and melted butter with a whisk. Whisk until smooth. Next, add the milk and the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until combined, but still lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Last, add the whipped egg whites to the batter and use a rubber spatula to gently fold to combine. Fold until no streaks of egg whites remain, but do not over mix.
- Spray the waffle iron with nonstick spray and spoon in the amount of batter recommended by the manufacturer (it was about 1 cup for our machine).
- Cook waffles per waffle maker instructions. Once done, slather with cultured butter and top with maple syrup.