Vanilla-Almond Snack Cake with Rhubarb-Mascarpone Frosting
1 hour 0 mins
1 cup granulated sugar plus more for dusting the pan
3 eggs, room temperature or warmed slightly (see Tip)
1 teaspoon vanilla bean seeds or vanilla bean puree
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
Vermont Creamery Unsalted Cultured Butter, melted and cooled
1 cup rhubarb, chopped
2 tablespoons water
1 ¼ cups confectionery sugar
Vermont Creamery Mascarpone
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch cake tin and dust it with sugar.
- Combine eggs and sugar in large bowl; beat 4-5 minutes or until mixture is pale yellow and almost doubled in size.
- Add vanilla bean seeds or paste, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt. Stir in gently.
- Sift flour over top of batter and fold in gently. Repeat with melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until it has turned golden brown and begun to pull away from edges of pan. Remove from oven and run a knife around edges of pan. Let cake cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. Let cool completely.
- Combine chopped rhubarb and 2 tablespoons water in blender or food processor. Blend until a smooth puree forms. Place a sieve over a bowl or measuring cup. Transfer puree to sieve and press to push liquid through. Discard pulp and set aside 3 tablespoons of rhubarb juice. Reserve any extra for another use.
- Combine reserved 3 tablespoons of rhubarb juice, 1 1/4 cups confectionery sugar, and 1/2 cup mascarpone in large bowl; stir until a smooth frosting forms. Spread frosting over cooled cake. Top with sprinkles or chopped almonds. Cut into squares. Refrigerate until chilled, or serve immediately if you can't wait.