Spiced Zucchini Carrot Bran Muffins
1 hours 15 mins
½ cup raisins
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup maple sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup wheat bran
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 ½ cup finely grated carrot
1 cup finely grated zucchini
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 medium apple, peeled, diced
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffins cups with paper liners.
- Soak raisins in orange juice in small bowl; set aside.
- Combine 6 tablespoons butter, coconut oil and 1/2 cup maple sugar in bowl; beat with electric mixer until light and creamy. Add maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. Whisk by hand until eggs are thoroughly combined.
- Combine flour, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in separate bowl. Whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; whisk until all dry ingredients are just incorporated. Fold in soaked raisins and any remaining orange juice, carrot, zucchini, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, apple and orange zest until equally distributed.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups to very top of rims. Sprinkle with additional chopped walnuts and maple sugar. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tops are soft but firm and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
- Wearing oven mitts, transfer muffins to wire rack to cool. Alternately, gently turn muffins sideways in cups. Serve warm with additional butter.